Sunday, July 17, 2016

Excellent birds, several. Tree-kangaroos 0

After a few adventures - see entries for troppo moment of the day below - we had a very pleasant run out to the Avenue of Valour to start the day.  Back home for showers and breakfast and we decided to go and check on Tree-kangaroo habitat along Peterson's Creek.

Before getting there Frances noticed this very unwell moth.  I have found an image of it on the web, but not named.  I will try to look it up in my moth book at home. Ha!! When in doubt, ask an entomologist; Roger Farrow quickly identified this as a 4 o'clock moth Dysphania fenestrata.
The tree-kangaroos were not evident but we did see a Pied Monarch - BoD - as well as more specimens of Spectacled Monarch and Pale-yellow Robin.

Things get a little out of temporal sequence here.  When I returned from a visit to the Mather Rd fig tree Frances reported an Emerald Dove walking about on the lawn  Despite the effluxion of time - about 30 minutes I was able to relocate the bird and get a snap.
A  bit later I took a Nana-nap and when I emerged Frances reported "swift-like things" overflying the house.  I was able to pin them down to Australian Swiftlets (with a few field marks as well as them being the only game in town at this time of year).  Well done that woman: 2 biggies in one arvo!!

I had earlier imaged a Bar-shouldered Dove, taken after it had itself had a nana-nap on the lawn.
 Here we have an Olive-backed Oriole (L) and an Australasian Figbird (R) dining on Palm-fruit in the garden.
 On our way back from the walk we passed the bowlo.  Rainbow is the new black for bowls  ...
 .. and the new white for attire!  That shirt is my souvenir of choice for this trip.
 I have obfuscated their faces in case they'd told the priest they were visiting a sick nun instead of attending Mass at 11:30 on a Sunday morning.

Some fungi.
Some flowers here and there around the village.  I'll begin with Syzygium wilsonii


  • Bird of the day: Pied Monarch gets the award.  Emerald Dove and Australian Swiftlet complete the podium, with the Swiftlet gets the flock award
  • Vegetation of the day:  Trees along Peterson Creek which look to offer excellent tree-kangaroo habitat, if only the marsupials would realise this!
  • Memorable moment:  This has to be the realisation of what had happened with the shoe incident described below.
  • Comment of the day: "Its OK, she's older than you."   Owner of a small black dog which came to greet Carol and I on our morning run.  We felt this was a trifle harsh on all concerned.
  • Pie of the day: No sampling
  • Troppo moment of the day.  Three contenders before breakfast.  In ascending order of troppocity.
    • I managed to get us spatially misplaced on our run out to the Avenue of Honour.
    • I managed to trip over an a-frame sign outside one of the cafe's as we started the run.  This possibly explains  the previous contender.
    • After putting on my shoes for the run I noticed they felt a bit tight.  Going round to the back door, Rob also had his shoes on.  I asked him if he wore New Balance.  He answered in the positive so I followed up by asking why he was wearing Brooks.  Our shoes looked very similar but we'd managed to put on each others, and mine were about half a size bigger.  I don't think this explains the subsequent trip-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Comments are welcome and will be published unless offensive to others or spam.