Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Crop forecasts

In the two trips covered in this blog for 2012 I have commented on surprising apparent increases in the amount of two crops:

  • Cotton on the Hay Plain when going to Port Lincoln; and
  • Canola on the Riverina trip.

When Gouldiae also commented on canola it was time to investigate.

The go-to organisation for crop forecasting is ABARE (if you wish to check detail you might have to search that site a bit as I did).  Note that the data for 2011-12 was calculated by me from 2012-13 numbers and % change.

Here is the data (Click to get a readable version):
This is chart for NSW (which is the area I am interested in).

Both correlation coefficients are pretty good so I am inclined to say that the apparent increase - at least in the medium term is real.  Although cotton is drooping a bit compared to the previous two years.  Presumably the continued increase in canola reflects the tough climate in the US this year.